Adding lost wallet transactions

Hi, loving this site, so far it’s very helpful. I’ve been investing since 2015, my first ever BTC purchase was from LocalBitcoins in 2015 and I did transfer out everything from that wallet but not all at once. I’ve never disposed of any funds for dollars either apart from exchanging some altcoins which I have gains and losses on. I’m trying to backdate my taxes and amend my previous tax returns (which is possible in Australia). The trouble is LB only show records of wallets that were used earliest Oct 2017 so it shows no records at all. I have records of when exactly and how much BTC I bought, and what it cost, but not the actual wallet addresses. I’m finding it hard to figure out how to add a wallet that is no longer accessible. In 2017 I made several transfers from that wallet over several days to another exchange in order to swap some for Ethereum (which is all imported on CoinTracker). Then I transferred the rest to that exchange to simply store for a while until I got my first hardware wallet. These BTC transfers just show up as ‘received’ in my transaction history and of course their cost basis is all wrong since I bought it in 2015.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Hi @7lions,

Just sent you a direct note as well, but essentially what you can do is add all the wallet addresses that you have. Then for those that are missing, you can add manual transactions showing the purchases and withdrawals from localbitcoins (e.g. how to add a withdrawal). That should bridge the missing gaps!

Yes but how do you connect those transactions to the transactions where it says it received these amounts of bitcoin. Like what do I put down under the ‘wallet’ entry because I can’t create a wallet that doesn’t exist. Otherwise it will mean I’ve bought that bitcoin, but I’ve also recieved the same bitcoin and will count as extra rather than the same. Do you see what I’m getting at? It’s very confusing. I assume I’d have to mark my ‘received’ as ‘transfer’ instead but how do I connect each one? See screenshot - this is what I’m trying to add and connect:

Hi @7lions,

You can leave the wallet blank and it’ll automatically go into a catch-all Other Transactions wallet that you can use are your placeholder for wallets that you don’t have access to any more or don’t remember the address for any more.

Ok that worked thanks! I had some ETH I marked as lost and in Australian tax that can count as a loss unlike in the USA. How do I make it count as a loss?

1 Like

If you want to force a 100% capital loss, then instead of marking it as lost / stolen, undo that and edit the transaction and make it a trade for AUD 0.00000001

1 Like