Cost Basis Calculations

A few items in regards to cost basis updates/upgrades.

1. Please add support for elastic tokens such as AMPL and SLINK. If you have ever sold these, the cost basis will be wrong on the currency you sold it for. Cointracker also will think you still have some coins even though you’ve sold them all (could also be negative balance depending on rebases and timing of sale). This has lead to my Ethereum cost basis to be WAY off.

2. Please look at fee’s in your wallet tracking. For example, I’m noticing that many of my ETH transactions the “i” in the transaction section isn’t accounting for fee’s paid. The balance on the dashboard and performance tab is correct as I think it pulls from the wallet itself. This is very obvious on 0 ETH transactions where there is only a fee such as a transfer or smart contract authorization.

3. I imported my cryto.com CSV, and the cost basis in the CSV and what cointracker shows are different. For example, there is a purchase for $385.72. For some reason cointracker decided the cost basis was $415.06. I think this is due to average weighting of price or something, but I don’t think that should be used when the exact price is provided.

I was able to “edit cost basis” on #3, but that feature itself is inconsistent with actually functioning. Often it just flashes and the drop down box never shows up. I think this is when trying to update it from screens other than the specific wallet. It doesn’t seem to work on the total transaction list or a specific coin summary screens.

Thanks for all the recent updates!

Hi @Radavan,

Thanks again for another detailed post! Please see responses inline below:

1. Please add support for elastic tokens such as AMPL and SLINK. If you have ever sold these, the cost basis will be wrong on the currency you sold it for. Cointracker also will think you still have some coins even though you’ve sold them all (could also be negative balance depending on rebases and timing of sale). This has lead to my Ethereum cost basis to be WAY off.

>> We’ll work on this and let you know once available.

1. Please look at fee’s in your wallet tracking. For example, I’m noticing that many of my ETH transactions the “i” in the transaction section isn’t accounting for fee’s paid. The balance on the dashboard and performance tab is correct as I think it pulls from the wallet itself. This is very obvious on 0 ETH transactions where there is only a fee such as a transfer or smart contract authorization.

>> We’ll work on improving this for ETH local wallet transactions.

1. I imported my cryto.com CSV, and the cost basis in the CSV and what cointracker shows are different. For example, there is a purchase for $385.72. For some reason cointracker decided the cost basis was $415.06. I think this is due to average weighting of price or something, but I don’t think that should be used when the exact price is provided.

>> You’re right that we are using weighted pricing right now, but we plan to switch to exchange-specific and CSV-specified pricing and we’ll let you know as soon as we do. In the meantime what you did below is the right short term workaround.

I was able to “edit cost basis” on #3, but that feature itself is inconsistent with actually functioning. Often it just flashes and the drop down box never shows up. I think this is when trying to update it from screens other than the specific wallet. It doesn’t seem to work on the total transaction list or a specific coin summary screens.

>> Just to confirm, you are able to edit basis when you have the specific wallet filter applied, but not otherwise?

Thanks for all the recent updates!

>> Thank you for your feedback that makes it possible!