Disclaimer: CoinTracker is provided for informational purposes only. This service is not intended to substitute for tax, audit, accounting, investment, financial, nor legal advice. For financial, tax, or legal advice please consult your own professional. The information on CoinTracker is subject to change without notice. All information is provided “as is.” CoinTracker disclaims any responsibility for the accuracy or adequacy of any positions taken by you in your tax returns. Please see our full disclaimer .
Tax laws vary around the world. Please familiarize yourself with the tax rules that apply to you based on your country/jurisdiction.
Most countries consider cryptocurrencies to be capital assets. Therefore if the asset appreciates in value and you sell/trade/use it for profit, the gains are taxed like capital gains. If the asset depreciates in value and you sell/trade/use it at a loss, you may be able to deduct the losses against other capital gains to reduce your taxes.
The amount of tax depends on how much capital gain/loss there has been on the asset, how long you have held the asset, and the specific regulations in your country/jurisdiction. Because each taxable event may create a capital gain, you need to know the date, cost basis, sale value, and any fees associated with each transaction.
Generally speaking, these are considered taxable events:
- Selling cryptocurrency for fiat currency (i.e. USD, CAD, EUR, JPY, etc.)
- Trading cryptocurrency for other cryptocurrency
- Using cryptocurrency to buy a good or service
- Receiving cryptocurrency as a result of a fork or from mining
On the other hand, the following are generally not considered taxable events:
- Buying cryptocurrency with fiat currency (except in cases where the purchase price is lower than the fair market value of the purchased coin)
- Donating cryptocurrency to a tax-exempt organization
- Gifting cryptocurrency to anyone (if the gift is sufficiently large it may trigger a gift tax)
- Transferring cryptocurrency from one wallet that you own to another wallet that you own