Questions-adding Ledger wallets

1. Your Ledger instructions contain one list of covered coins (in two places). But the drop-down box to select Ledger wallets contains a different list.
  2. I successfully added BTC & BCH.
  3. Then I tried LTC, because that was the only other coin (that I hold) that is on both lists.
  4. Following instructions, using LedgerLive, I clicked the wrench and Advanced Logs. But the address is not prefixed by xpub, per the instructions, and as the first two were. Can I use that address, as is? Or must I follow instructions for “all other coins”?
  5. And, to clarify, does that mean I open the app on my Leger for each coin, then select the Account in LedgerLive, then go through each and every transaction for that coin, and copy and upload each and every address I find? Does that include both sending and receiving addresses? Should I, or could I, watch for duplicate addresses, and only upload it one time?
  6. What about coins listed in “We currently support…” (Dash, Dogecoin, Zcash) that do not appear in the drop-down? Will I follow the “all other” instructions for those?
    Please advise how I should proceed.

Also, I had a few tx using ShapeShift before they had accounts, so my transactions are not available. But they were all sent-from and received-by my Ledger; so that data should show up in the Ledger wallets, right?

Hi @write_on,

1. Your Ledger instructions contain one list of covered coins (in two places). But the drop-down box to select Ledger wallets contains a different list.

Thanks for flagging; the instructions are correct. We will work on clarifying this in the UI.

1. I successfully added BTC & BCH.

Awesome!

1. Then I tried LTC, because that was the only other coin (that I hold) that is on both lists.
  2. Following instructions, using LedgerLive, I clicked the wrench and Advanced Logs. But the address is not prefixed by xpub, per the instructions, and as the first two were. Can I use that address, as is? Or must I follow instructions for “all other coins”?

Just copy the address as it is shown.

1. And, to clarify, does that mean I open the app on my Leger for each coin, then select the Account in LedgerLive, then go through each and every transaction for that coin, and copy and upload each and every address I find? Does that include both sending and receiving addresses? Should I, or could I, watch for duplicate addresses, and only upload it one time?

For coins that support HD wallets (Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Dash, Dogecoin, Litecoin, Zcash) just add the HD wallet address. For all other coins just add each receive address where you had activity for the coin.

1. What about coins listed in “We currently support…” (Dash, Dogecoin, Zcash) that do not appear in the drop-down? Will I follow the “all other” instructions for those?
    Please advise how I should proceed.

They will appear if you start typing their names (the auto-complete) will kick in.

Also, I had a few tx using ShapeShift before they had accounts, so my transactions are not available. But they were all sent-from and received-by my Ledger; so that data should show up in the Ledger wallets, right?

Yes

Hello Chandan,

Thank you for your response.

I already went to guessing and experimenting, after carefully studying and reasoning through all the bits and pieces of pertinent instructions I could find. I already figured out a lot of this.

I figured the drop-down list wasn’t necessarily meant to match, but applied to either set of instructions (by Advanced Logs OR transactions). But clarification would be greatly appreciated.

After confirming that I could delete that entry–if it turned out to be wrong–I tried that. Happily, it seemed to work fine.

I successfully added all the available “HD” (whatever that means) addresses. I am ready to move on to the transactions. Thank you for clarifying that I only need to add the receiving addresses for each coin. That’s very helpful. Now, these questions have arisen in my mind:

1. I have found that sometimes there are two receiving addresses for one transaction. But does this apply only in the case of HD addresses, which are already added? (Ledger explains that this has to do with “change” wallets, but I have no way of knowing which address is the one I need to track.) If not, (only HD), how should I handle that situation?

2. The page you link to above gives a list of wallets you “support” that includes ETH, ERC20 tokens, ETC, QTUM, XLM, XRP, etc. What does “support” mean, in this context? I believe that’s the same language you use when listing the HD addresses that can be copied from Advanced Logs. Does it mean something different here, or should I use Advanced Logs to get those addresses too?

3. I think Ledger creates a fresh address for every transaction. So if I finish adding all the receiving addresses I already have, then have a receiving transaction with a coin I have already added, must I go back in and look for a new address to add? (And, again, do I need to look out for duplicate receiving addresses as I add each coin now, or just grab them all, and let CoinTracker worry about duplications?)

I figured that out, too. I should have been quicker to pick that up.

Thanks for that confirmation. I feel much better!

Hey @write_on,

Great questions. Please see inline below. If there is anything else we can help with please let us know.

I successfully added all the available “HD” (whatever that means) addresses.

https://bitcoin.org/en/glossary/hd-protocol

1. I have found that sometimes there are two receiving addresses for one transaction. But does this apply only in the case of HD addresses, which are already added? (Ledger explains that this has to do with “change” wallets, but I have no way of knowing which address is the one I need to track.) If not, (only HD), how should I handle that situation?

Yes this is only going to apply for the HD wallet cases with UTXOs.

1. The page you link to above gives a list of wallets you “support” that includes ETH, ERC20 tokens, ETC, QTUM, XLM, XRP, etc. What does “support” mean, in this context? I believe that’s the same language you use when listing the HD addresses that can be copied from Advanced Logs. Does it mean something different here, or should I use Advanced Logs to get those addresses too?

For these wallets you can copy each individual receive address (for some wallets like ETH and ERC-20 tokens there will just be one ETH receive address that you can get from the “Last Operations” history and clicking on the transactions to see the corresponding TO address (for receives) and FROM address (for sends).

1. I think Ledger creates a fresh address for every transaction. So if I finish adding all the receiving addresses I already have, then have a receiving transaction with a coin I have already added, must I go back in and look for a new address to add? (And, again, do I need to look out for duplicate receiving addresses as I add each coin now, or just grab them all, and let CoinTracker worry about duplications?)

Yes, if there are new received addresses for a coin you will want to make sure that they are all added. CoinTracker should automatically prevent you from adding the same wallet twice.