Self Directed IRA and Self Directed Roth IRA holding cryptos

I don’t have to add IRA wallets in cointracker because I don’t have to pay taxes untill I get RMD at age 72 yrs old right ?

@elie,

Tax advantaged accounts like IRA wallets are not subject to taxation while the funds remain in the IRA. We will work on enabling tracking for these separately. Which wallet/exchange are you using for your IRA?

I use Kraken for Self Directed Traditional IRA and use Bittrex for Self Directed ROTH IRA.

Initially I had a personal account in Bittrex and incorporated Self Directed Roth IRA to my personal account which was a mistake. I am not sure if I can separate them.

I added Self Directed Roth IIRA wallet to Cointracker because I also have some alt coins in my Bittrex personal account. Because I needed to have trading history exported from Bittrex.

Would it be OK to add Roth IRA wallet to Cointracker ? I know Roth IRA is not subject to tax.

I am having a hard time to import trading history from Bitfinex and Bittrex and Exodus due to lack of computer skill.

Can I use Zenledger to create CSV file and import it to Cointraker or do you edit CSV file in Excel spread sheet and import to Cointracker ?

I have been trying to import CSV for 3 weeks and I have no help. Can you please make a step by step video for seniors ?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely

PS : I use Trezor and Ledger wallets.

Hi @elie,

Sorry that this has been so tricky! Please see comments inline below:

I use Kraken for Self Directed Traditional IRA and use Bittrex for Self Directed ROTH IRA.

Do you have an LLC account with them or how are you doing this?

I added Self Directed Roth IIRA wallet to Cointracker because I also have some alt coins in my Bittrex personal account. Because I needed to have trading history exported from Bittrex.

Is it one Bittrex account for both your personal funds and your Roth IRA funds, or separate accounts for each?

Would it be OK to add Roth IRA wallet to Cointracker ? I know Roth IRA is not subject to tax.

We will work on enabling this so that you can track them individually.

I am having a hard time to import trading history from Bitfinex and Bittrex and Exodus due to lack of computer skill.

Can you please make a step by step video for seniors ?

Here is a video tutorial (and we will work on making more of these).

PS : I use Trezor and Ledger wallets.

Hi Chandan

I rolled over ROTH IRA account to “IRA Services company” to open Self Directed IRA so I could buy precious metals and cryptocurrency through Self Directed IRA.

When it was done, I opened a Business LLC account with a local bank and after Business account was set up, I wanted to open a Corporate account at Bittrex.

At that time I had a Personal account open already at Bittrex.

I incorporated my Business account to my Personal account because I got a email from Bittrex that I could incorporate my Business account with my Personal account.

Yes, I have one Bittrex account for personal funds and Roth IRA funds and this account is under Business LLC name linked to my local bank Business LLC account.

So they are not separate and confusing.

I made a mistake combining them together because I was a noob about all this.

I still have to ask Bittrex whether I can separate Business account funds from personal account funds. The whole thing is overwhelming to me.

I thought that I needed to have separate Personal account so I opened a separate Bittrex Personal account later on. But right now Personal funds are combined with Corporate/Business account.

But most of all, my biggest problem for now is that I don’t know how to edit CSV files from Exchanges to CoinTracker generic CSV file format.

Is there any way you could show me how to do that ? e.g. how to change Date to (MM/DD/YYYY) indtead of (DD/MM/YY) and HH:MM:SS instead of (HH:MM) format and also to change the order of the first header.

I went to a computer repair shop for help but the employee could not edit Bitfinex CSV file to exact CoinTracker CSV file format.

I can’t proceed to complete my tax because I can’t edit and upload CSV file to CoinTracker.

Where can I go to get assistance ?. Thank you very much.

Sincerely

Hi @elie,

Thanks for following up. I sent you a separate private note about the IRA.

About Bittrex, following the steps listed above, you can use our CSV import tool to upload the withdrawal CSV in our generic format, shown below. The trade history you can just use the format provided by Bittrex and deposits are automatically coming through the API. You can also download a sample CSV here. Please reformat any CSVs following these guidelines:

​If you run into problems, please shoot us the CSV on support chat and we can take a look.